Psychotherapist (HPG), couple therapist in Berlin Prenzlauer Berg
As a systemic family and couple therapist, I help people living in binational relationships to find a way in challenging situations. Consultations in german, french and english.
- €80 / session
- Couple session - €160 / session
My name is Isabelle Penot and I work as a systemic family and couple therapist, intercultural couple counsellor and interpreter. Growing up in a German-French family in France, I found my home in Berlin in the 90s.
Multilingualism and interculturality are part of my life. Growing up in a German-French family in the banlieue of Paris, I have been living in Berlin with my Hungarian husband for over 20 years. Together we have three children who are slowly taking flight.
Both in my private life and in my work, I am driven by curiosity about the foreign and mediating between cultures. But I also know the need for differentiation, the question of my own identity, the retreat to my cultural values.
I know from experience what it feels like when roots strike out in all directions and I find it very helpful to be able to distinguish whether the conflicts are related to the respective socialisation and culture - or to one's own biography and the hurts that sometimes come with it.
With the help of this differentiation, binational couples can find their way back to a constructive dialogue. They recognise what differentiates them in a positive way, but also what connects them deeply - across all borders.
Grief & Loss
Find a way out. Often we suffer from a problem, focus all our attention on it and are blind to obvious solutions. I help my clients to break free from old patterns and try out new ways. I treat them with esteem and respect so that everyone feels equally at ease. With couples, I attach great importance to both partners feeling involved.
In couples therapy, the relationship is the focus of the counselling. Both partners have their say so that a new dialogue can open up. I formulate a goal for the relationship together with them.
Exchange with colleagues is important to me. Supervision is also part of my work. I regularly take part in further training. Feel free to ask me if you would like to know more about this.
Qualifications and experience
- November 2021 - Training in Acceptance and Committment Therapy (ACT)
- 2018 Examination to become a non-medical practitioner for psychotherapy (Heilpraktikerin für Psychotherapie)
- 2018-2019 Training in hypnotherapy - focus on psychosomatics, fears and phobias, working with ego states
- 2017-2020 three-year training as a systemic family and couple therapist (ISTB- Therapie und Organisationsentwicklung GmbH)
- 2003 Sworn interpreter for German and French
- 1992 Master's degree in German Studies at the University of Sorbonne Paris
- Since 2020 Cooperation as a psychological counsellor with the Verband für binationale Familien und Partnerschaften
- 2018 Establishment of own practice in Berlin Prenzlauer Berg as individual and couples counsellor
- 2001 to present interpreter for institutions and authorities (Berlin courts, Federal Office for Migration and Refugees, counselling centres)
- 1992-2002 Lecturer in french and german as foreign languages in Paris and Berlin